For more information www.debcinamonwhalen.com

I create art works and projects that challenge observers and participants to understand the impacts of human consumption and development on natural eco systems and environments.
By creating this type of art I hope I can help connect people with nature, and empower them to become active in trying to help make positive environmental choices.

Saturday, October 4, 2008

New England Environmental Education Alliance Conference

October 4-6 2008 I was invited to make healing blankets with the teachers attending the NEEEA Conference at Sargent Camp in Peterboro, New Hampshire. Friday night I gave a presentation about Mountain Top Removal coal mining. The power point I used is filled with images I took on a trip to West Virginia. It shows the various stages step by step of how the coal companies destroy a mountain to extract the coal.  Afterwards we made mini healing blankets. The theme of the weekend was building  communities. The next day folks who made blankets Friday night made a blanket with someone who wasn't there. This helped bring people together at the conference, growing our community. On Sunday we joined the mini blankets together with raffia to created a large blanket. I use the blankets to tell the stories of  people whose lives have been impacted by MTR. The blankets act as a bridge bringing our communities together when they are sent to a person, or family to install into a landscape that needs to be healed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment